Wednesday, September 7, 2011

REMEMBER...













Cate and I went to the Ground Zero 360 exhibit yesterday at the Field Museum. There was a section where you could sit and listen to the actual radio transmissions from 9/11 between the fire and police. When we were there they were trying to get to a fireman that was trapped after the first tower fell. He was trying to give them his location to come and get him. It was chilling and something that will probably stay with me forever. I pray now , more than ever, for all of those down there that have images to go with what I heard for those small 20 minutes that I sat there. As I went to bed I kept hearing those transmissions in my head. I wonder if they ever found him; I doubt it. As Americans, we have very short memories. We need to remember that day, ALWAYS. We need to thank firefighters and police in our neck of the woods when we see them, for they would do the same for us if we ever needed them to. We need to thank every soldier we see, for he/she is helping make sure that this never happens again in our own backyard.

It was so important for Cate to see this. She was just a year and a half on that awful day and has no memory of it. I guess on one hand, that is a blessing. But on the other hand, I want her to know the beauty that came out of that day... for at least a few months after. Neighbors took the time to wave or say "HI". Strangers weren't so distant at the store. People looked out for each other a bit more. The resilience shown by us, as a nation, was awesome and awe inspiring. I want her to know that part of September 11, 2001. As I sit here typing this, I can recall vividly watching the news and having all those frightful images seared into my brain forever, and you know what? I'm glad that they are! I never want to forget that day! Otherwise, everyone that died then, and since then, would have died in vain. As we come upon the tenth anniversary of 9/11, please remember those that have died, both here and abroad. Remember the love we had for each other in those uncertain days immediately after. Remember the feeling of gratitude we had; even though we were sick that all our 'brothers and sisters' had died, we wefelt so lucky to be holding our children that night, while theirs cried themselves to sleep. Please, never forget. Always Remember.

REMEMBER

* Ground Zero 360° is organized by Paul McCormack and Nicola McClean

No comments:

Post a Comment